News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Hispanics in the country and in Congress have opposed the part of the bill _____________.

a. public opinion considers most significant b. the majority in Congress considers most important c. most of them consider important to their own interests d. most employers consider significant to their own interests
(2) For those who hire illegal aliens, the measures would provide _______________. a. civil penalties and employer sanctions b. employer sanctions and criminal penalties c. criminal penalties and discrimination d. civil penalties and criminal penalties
(3) Hispanics worry the employer sanctions would lead to _______________. a. discrimination b. amnesty for aliens c. immigration reform d. more horror stories
(4) The immigration bill includes amnesty for aliens who have been in this country for five years in order to appease _______________. a. Hispanics and others b. employers who repeatedly hire illegal aliens c. aliens in general d. border state representatives

2. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
(1) The new bill includes strong
language for
who
hire
while still allowing someone to hire
before
.
(2) The idea of deporting all of those people seemed
to most members of
.

3. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Many border state representatives oppose the legalization provisions because they believe
. And all those people could
.
(2) The other controversial area of the immigration bill is
.
(3) Agricultural interests wanted to be able to
without
.
(4) Finally a compromise was reached which permitted up to
farm workers to
and promised to
and to allow them to
if they
.
(5) The combination of
and
made members of Congress decide the time had come to enact immigration reform.
(6) Supporters of reform say that the end is not here yet, because
, and
.

Listening answers

News in Detail

(1) The new bill includes strong
language for
who
hire
while still allowing someone to hire
before
.
to most members of
.

. And all those people could
.
.
without
.
farm workers to
and promised to
and to allow them to
if they
.
(5) The combination of
and
, and
.