News Item 1

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 1:
1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) This news item is basically about ______________.

a. the reaction in the United States to the summit in Iceland b. the reaction all over the world to the summit in Iceland c. the reaction in the United States and of America's NATO allies to the summit in Iceland d. the reaction of America's NATO allies to the summit in Iceland.
(2) ____________, the reaction to the summit was divided between the two major political parties. a. In Congress b. In Senate c. In House of Representatives d. All over the United States
(3) America's NATO allies were especially disappointed about the lack of an agreement to eliminate _____________ from Europe. a. long-range US missiles b. medium-range Soviet missiles c. intermediate-range nuclear force d. medium-range US and Soviet missiles
(4) According to Kenneth Adelman, the summit in Iceland did yield ___________ proposals. a. five b. two c. three d. four
(5) Last week, Soviet negotiators claimed that the Soviet needed ______________. a. 530 warheads in Asia b. 530 warheads in Europe c. 513 warheads in Asia d. 513 warheads in Europe

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Republicans accused the President of losing an excellent opportunity, whereas Democrats praised him for not giving in to the Soviets.
(2)
Kenneth Adelman is Director of the US Arms Control Agency.
(3)
Gorbachev agreed to a fifty percent reduction of strategic weapons.
(4)
Gorbachev agreed to have one hundred warheads in Europe in the intermediate-range nuclear force.
(5)
The two leaders will continue their talks in Geneva.

Listening answers

News Item 1:

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)