News Item 1

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 1:
1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete the following statement.
The United States wanted to ___________ its diplomatic expulsion war with __________.

a. continue; the Soviet Union b. stop; the Soviet Union c. continue; Nicaragua d. stop; Nicaragua

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Charles Redman is the Assistant Secretary in the State Department.
(2)
Charles Redman said that if the Soviets put restrictions on American workers in Moscow, the American government would set similar limits on Soviet workers in the United States.
(3)
Charles Redman said he was not happy with the latest Soviet expulsion order, but warned the Soviet Union against any further steps in this expulsion war.
(4)
Redman said the two governments should sit down and talk about how the two countries could cooperate to explore the space rather than having diplomatic expulsion war.
(5)
This statement was made only two weeks after the summit in Iceland.

Listening answers

News Item 1:

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)