News Item 1:

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 1:

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) President Reagan ____________ against South Africa.

a. opposes the sanctions b. opposes the Senate's veto of sanctions c. is for the sanctions d. is for the Senate's veto of sanctions
(2) The sanctions now become law because ______________. a. the Senate has voted to override the House's veto of the sanctions. b. The House has voted to override the veto by a decisive ninety-seven to thirty-three c. both the Senate and the House have voted to override President Reagan's veto d. American civil rights leaders support the decision of the Senate
(3) The Senate has voted to override the veto by a decisive ______________. a. sixty-eight to eleven b. seventy-eight to twenty-one c. eighty-eight to thirty-one d. ninety-eight to forty-one

2. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    American
leaders, including
, watched the Senate debate from
as members argued not so much about
, more about
already passed by
or
.

Listening answers

News Item 1:

American
leaders, including
, watched the Senate debate from
as members argued not so much about
, more about
already passed by
or
.