Sport in Britain

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Sport in Britain

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) According to the speaker, public enthusiasm for active participation in sports and recreation in Britain __________.

a. decreases b. grows c. remains the same as before
(2) As far as the speaker is concerned, _____________ to make opportunities and facilities of sports available to the public. a. it is the duty of the government b. there is a duty on the part of the individuals c. company employers have the duty
(3) The most popular spectator sport in Britain is probably ___________. a. the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championship b. the international rugby matches at Murrayfield c. Association Football
(4) Local authorities provide facilities to meet the public demand for indoor and outdoor activities, such as ___________. a. tennis courts, swimming suits and pubs b. golf courses, swimming pools and leisure centres c. amusement parks, bars and recreation centres
(5) _________ should be legally guaranteed for pupils at ____________. a. Physical education; publicly maintained schools b. Gymnasiums; publicly maintained schools c. Physical education; privately maintained schools

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
People have become more and more interested in watching sports games and taking an active part in them as well.
(2)
Association Football has a history of more than 200 years.
(3)
Britain spent around £500 billion on sport and outdoor recreation last year.
(4)
The British Waterways Board contributes a lot to the popularization of water-based sports.
(5)
Some companies offer time and facilities to their employees to do a little sport.
(6)
Sports should be a must in almost all educational institutions.

3. List at least eight of the sport and recreational activities mentioned in what you hear on the tape.

4. Fill in the blanks with numbers according to what you hear on the tape.
(1) There are well over
clubs affiliated to the English Football Association or FA and some
clubs to regional or district associations. The main clubs in England and Wales belong to the Football League,
in all, and the
Scottish clubs belong to the Scottish League. They play in
divisions in England and
in Scotland. During the football season, attendances total some
.
(2) We must thank the British Waterways Board, which as part of its work maintains
km of cruising waterways for navigation, about
km of other waterways and some
reservoirs.

Listening answers

Sport in Britain

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

(1) There are well over
in all, and the
divisions in England and
.
km of other waterways and some
reservoirs.