Task 1: Learning a Foreign Language

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 1: Learning a Foreign Language

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Professor Ernest Watson was answering questions on __________ on the subject of learning a foreign language.

a. the phone b. the radio c. TV.
(2) Mr. Humphries wanted to know ___________. a. how to study Spanish grammar b. how to enlarge his Spanish vocabulary c. how to improve his speaking and listening in Spanish
(3) Professor Watson compared learning a language to ____________. a. learning to drive b. driving a car c. watching TV.
(4) Professor Watson's advice was to ___________. a. practice more in using the language b. go to live in the country where the language is spoken c. watch more TV programmes

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Mr. Humphries often went to Spain on holiday to practice his Spanish.
(2)
When Mr. Humphries went to Spain this summer, he got disheartened because he still couldn't understand the Spanish people.
(3)
According to Professor Watson, Mr. Humphries could improve his oral Spanish by practicing with another student.
(4)
According to Professor Watson, Mr. Humphries could improve his listening in Spanish by speaking to Spanish speakers in London.

3. Fill in the blanks below.
    The listener's name is
. He lives in
, in
. He has been studying Spanish for
years by going to
and watching a lot of
. The professor suggests that he should have a lot of practice in
, but he thinks the other students may
as he does when they have an oral practice together. The professor takes
as an example, telling him learning to speak means being able to put together
and to say them
. It is a
business.

Listening answers

Task 1: Learning a Foreign Language

a. the phone b. the radio c. TV.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

3. Fill in the blanks below.
    The listener's name is
. He lives in
, in
. He has been studying Spanish for
years by going to
and watching a lot of
, but he thinks the other students may
and to say them
. It is a
business.