Good News for Movie Fans The Student Association has just purchased a new sound system for the Old Lincoln Hall auditorium, the place where movies on campus are currently shown. By installing the new sound system, the Student Association hopes to attract

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

Good News for Movie Fans
The Student Association has just purchased a new sound system for the Old Lincoln Hall
auditorium, the place where movies on campus are currently shown. By installing the
new sound system, the Student Association hopes to attract more students to the movies
and increase ticket sales. Before making the purchase of the new equipment, the Student
Association conducted a survey on campus to see what kind of entertainment students
liked best. Going to the movies ranked number one. “Students at Northfield College love going to the movies” said the president of the Student Association, “so we decided to make what they already love even better. We’re confident that the investment into the sound system will translate into increased ticket sales.”

(Male student) I really think the Student Association made a bad decision.
(Female student) Really? Why? Don’t you like going to the movies?
(Male student) Sure I do. But this new purchase is just a waste of money.
(Female student) What do you mean? It’s supposed to sound really good.
(Male student) Yeah, well, I’m sure it does, but, in Old Lincoln Hall? I mean that
building must be 200 years old! It used to be the college gym! The acoustics are terrible.
(Female student) So you’re saying there’ll be no improvement?
(Male student) That’s right. And also, I seriously doubt that going to the movies is the
number one social activity for most students.
(Female student) Yeah, but that’s what students said.
(Male student) Well, of course that’s what they said. What else is there to do on
campus?
(Female student) What do you mean?
(Male student) I mean, there isn’t much to do on campus besides go to the movies. If
there were other forms of, uh recreation, or other social activities, you know, I don’t think
most students would have said that going to the movies was their first choice.

Question: The man expresses his opinion of the Student Association’s recent purchase. State his opinion and explain the reasons he gives for holding that opinion.

Speaking recording
Speaking category