Question Using points and examples from the talk describe the two different definitions of tools given by the professor

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

Question--> Using points and examples from the talk, describe the two different
definitions of tools given by the professor.

(Female professor) Human beings aren’t the only animals that use tools. It’s generally
recognized that other animals use tools as well . . . use them naturally, in the wild,
without any human instruction. But when can we say that an object is a tool? Well, it
depends on your definition of a tool. And in fact, there are two competing definitions—a
narrow definition and a broad one. The narrow definition says that a tool is an object
that’s used to perform a specific task . . . but not just any object. To be a tool, according
to the narrow definition, the object’s gotta be purposefully changed or shaped by the
animal, or human, so that it can be used that way. It’s an object that’s made. Wild
chimpanzees use sticks to dig insects out of their nests . . . but most sticks lying around
won’t do the job . . . they might be too thick, for example. So the sticks have to be
sharpened so they’ll fit into the hole in an ant hill or the insect nest. The chimp pulls off
the leaves and chews the stick and trims it down that way until it’s the right size. The
chimp doesn’t just find the stick . . . it . . . you could say it makesit in a way.
But the broad definition says an object doesn’t have to be modified to be considered a
tool. The broad definition says a tool is any object that’s used to perform a specific task.
For example, an elephant will sometimes use a stick to scratch its back . . . it just picks up
a stick from the ground and scratches its back with it . . . It doesn’t modify the stick, it
uses it just as it’s found. And it’s a tool, under the broad definition, but under the narrow
definition it’s not because, well, the elephant doesn’t change it in any way.

Speaking recording
Speaking category