From Barcelona to Bondi - new Work and Holiday agreement

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 09/03/2014 - 18:51

Wednesday, 03 September 2014

The signing of a reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangement between Australia and Spain will give young people from both countries a unique opportunity to experience the vibrancy of each other's culture, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison and Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash said today.

The arrangement, signed at Parliament House today, means young people from Australia and Spain will have the opportunity to experience short-term work and study arrangements in each other's country.

Minister Morrison said the agreement will facilitate cultural exchange between the two countries, both in terms of the once–in–a–lifetime experience for the individuals involved, and in terms of the insights they will bring back to their home countries.

'The reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangement fosters people–to–people links between the two countries, bolstering our already close and positive relationship,' Minister Morrison said.

Minister Cash said the agreement will enable up to 500 young adults from Spain and 500 young adults from Australia to enjoy a holiday in each other's country, during which they may engage in short-term work and study.

'This agreement is a testament to the constructive relationship between Spain and Australia, to the benefit of young adults seeking a unique cultural experience,' Minister Cash said.

The work and holiday visa differs from a working holiday visa as it requires applicants to have the support of their government, hold or be studying towards tertiary qualifications, and to speak functional English.

Over the coming months, both Australia and Spain will work closely together to implement the necessary legal and administrative processes to bring this visa into effect. Announcements on the implementation of the Work and Holiday visa, as well as further information on the programme, can be found at www.immi.gov.au

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm217591.htm
Last update: Wednesday, 03 September 2014 at 17:51 AEST