Borlaug LEAP Fellowships for Sub-Saharan African in USA

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 05/11/2013 - 15:29

United States Agency for International Development

The Norman E. Borlaug Leadership Enhancement in Agriculture Program (Borlaug LEAP) which is the part of US Government’s Feed the Future 21st Century Leadership Program offers fellowships for Sub-Saharan African students. The fellowships are offered for conducting research on topics related to the US Government’s global hunger and food security initiative- Feed the Future. Fellowships will run from September 15, 2013 through September 14, 2014. The application deadline is June 14, 2013.

Study Subject(s): The fellowships are offered for conducting research on topics related to the US Government’s global hunger and food security initiative- Feed the future. All topics related to agriculture (as defined by Title XII) and the research strategies of the Feed the Future Initiative are admissible.
Course Level: The fellowships are available for pursuing research programme in USA.
Scholarship Provider: The Borlaug LEAP is part of the US Government’s Feed the Future 21st Century Leadership Program funded by the United States Agency for International Development.
Scholarship can be taken at: USA

Eligibility:
-An eligible candidate for a Borlaug LEAP fellowship must be
-a citizen of a USAID-assisted country in sub-Saharan Africa (eligible sub-Saharan African countries are listed at right).  Applicants cannot hold citizenship or permanent residency in a non-USAID assisted country. This includes applicants with dual citizenship.
-currently enrolled as an MS or PhD student at a U.S. or developing country university
-fluent in reading, writing and speaking English (with a TOEFL score 500 or above)
- In addition, eligible candidates will have completed at least one year of graduate level course work in the graduate program the applicant is currently enrolled in with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
-a thesis-topic related to agricultural development and related fields.

Scholarship Open for International Students: Applications are requested for the students of sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Chad, Dem. Rep. Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome/Principe, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan, Togo, Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe).

Scholarship Description: The Norman E. Borlaug Leadership Enhancement in Agriculture Program (Borlaug LEAP) offers fellowships to enhance the quality of thesis research of graduate students from developing countries who show strong promise as leaders in the field of agriculture and related disciplines as defined by Title XII. Borlaug LEAP was developed in conjunction with the Borlaug International Agricultural Science and Technology Fellows Program sponsored by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) but operates as a separate program.  The Borlaug LEAP is part of the US Government’s Feed the Future 21st Century Leadership Program funded by the United States Agency for International Development. The Borlaug LEAP Fellowship supports engaging a mentor at a United States (US) University and at a Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) system center to support and enhance the thesis research and mentoring experience. Awards are made on a competitive basis to students who show strong scientific and leadership potential, have a well coordinated proposal between their home university, a US university mentor, and the CGIAR mentor, and whose research is related to a strong research and support project within the host country. Emphasis is placed on work that has relevance to the national development of the student’s home country.

Duration of award(s): Fellowships will run from September 15, 2013 through September 14, 2014.

Selection Criteria: Awards are made on a competitive basis to students who show strong scientific and leadership potential, have a well coordinated proposal between their home university, a US university mentor, and the CGIAR mentor, and whose research is related to a strong research and support project within the host country.

Notification: Students should plan to begin their fellowship within one year of notification.  Successful candidates are usually notified within 3 months of the application deadline.

How to Apply: The complete application package must be submitted by the US UniversityA complete application will include the following documents:
The application form completed in full, including supplemental application from US and CGIAR mentors. (The Application File for download above includes the supplemental application forms.)
A four-part essay on given topics
Three recommendations covering topics provided, one each from:
-US faculty member from a graduate-level institution
-CGIAR scientist mentor
-Developing country university faculty member or national agriculture research center scientist.
-One passport size photograph
-Budget and Budget Justification
-One hard copy printed on white paper and one electronic copy of the entire application package on CD or disk.
-Proof of enrollment in a PhD or MS program.

Scholarship Application Deadline: The administrative due date for applications is: June 14, 2013.

Application Form

Further Official Scholarship Information and Application