Fully-Funded PhD Studentship in Engineering at Swansea University in UK, 2013-2014

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 05/16/2013 - 20:59

Fully-Funded PhD Studentship in Engineering at Swansea University in UK, 2013-2014Eligibility: The Studentship is only available to candidates from the UK/EU. Students should have an interest in micro-fabrication and application of semiconductor processing technology in medical products.

Description: This is a joint project between Swansea University and The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Texas. The first year of the PhD will be completed at Swansea University. In years 2 and 3, the student will continue their PhD as an employee of The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Texas and be based in Texas. For the final 12 months of the PhD, the student will return to Swansea University to complete the PhD. The World Health Organisation (WHO) figures from 2008 determined that ischemic heart disease followed by stroke is responsible for 23.6% of all global mortalities. The diagnosis and management of acute ischemic stroke is limited by the lack of rapid diagnostic assays for use in both an emergency and community-based setting. The ability to correlate blood-based protein biomarkers with stroke would aid in the development of such rapid diagnostics. This proposed programme of research would focus on the development of a point of care (POC) diagnostic system based on a silicon nanowire biosensor chip integrated with a micofluidic flow cell.

Subject: Various Courses

Level: This studentship is available for pursuing PhD degree level at Swansea University.

Provider: Swansea University and the Methodist Hospital Research Institute, UK

How to Apply: Please send a CV and cover letter stating your qualifications, relevant experience, wider experience, and why you think you are a good candidate for the PhD position by post.

For Which Country: The first year of the PhD will be completed at Swansea University, UK. In years 2 and 3, the student will continue their PhD as an employee of The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Texas, USA.

For Whom: International (Students of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK)

Number of award(s): Not Known

Duration of award(s): Not Known

What does it cover? The joint studentship is fully funded by Swansea University and the Methodist Hospital Research Institute. The studentship covers:
-Full UK/EU tuition fees.
-Annual tax-free bursary beginning at £13,726 (payable monthly) in the first year.
-a salary of $30,000 per annum in years 2 and 3.
-and a 6 month bursary in year 4.
-Funds will be available to support travel where appropriate.

Selection criteria: Not Known

Notification: Not Known

Deadline: The application deadline is May 31st 2013.