UGent Masters Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 06/14/2013 - 20:59

UGent Masters ScholarshipsCourse: Any approved field
Level: Postgraduate (diploma, masters)
Provider: University of Ghent
For Which Country: Belgium

Scholarship Description: During its meeting of 23rd May 2001, the Ghent University Board of Directors decided that special measures would be taken to provide Postgraduate Scholarships to candidates from Developing Countries who wish to obtain a master’s degree at Ghent University.

Ghent University provides Master Grants to candidates from developing countries who wish to obtain a master’s degree at Ghent University.

Eligibility (Who Can Apply?): The following should apply for candidates to be eligible:

1). Degree: Applicants for master’s programmes should already have obtained a bachelor degree when they submit the application.
2). Nationality: Applicants may apply for a Masters programme (or an International Course Programme, ICP) if they are nationals of one of the developing countries on the Master Grants country list (PDF) (or the VLIR-UOS country list respectively). Priority, however, will be given to the categories on the country list with the lowest levels of development and income. Priority will also be given to students applying for an ICP-programme whose country is not on the VLIR-country list but on the UGent list.

Please note that if your country is on the VLIR-UOS country list, you should apply for the VLIR-UOS scholarship instead. See the VLIR-UOS Masters and VLIR-UOS Training Scholarships.

3). Language and proficiency: The application is to be made in English. The applicant should have a very good command of the English language. Click here to see the requirements.

Eligible groups: Citizens of Developing countries (in both the EU and non-EU)

Participating Institutions: University of Ghent (Universiteit Gent) in Belgium

Field(s) of study: The grants are available for 19 master programmes at Ghent University. Eligible Master Grants programmes for 2013-2014:

• International Master of Science in Rural Development
  • International Master of Science in Environmental Technology and Engineering
  • Master of Advanced Studies in European Law
  • Erasmus Mundus: Master of Science in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation
  • Erasmus Mundus: European Master of Science in Nematology
  • Master of Science in Plant Biotechnology
  • Master of Science in Statistical Data Analysis
  • Master of Science in Photonics Science and Engineering
  • Master of Science in Textile Engineering
  • Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering
  • Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
  • Master of Science in Technology for Integrated Water Management

+ 7 International Course Programmes (ICP)*

• Master of Science in Aquaculture
  • Master of Science in Environmental Sanitation
  • Master of Science in Food Technology
  • Master of Science in Nematology
  • Master of Science in Physical Land Resources
  • Master of Science of Nutrition and Rural Development
  • Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management

*All residents from the VLIR-UOS country list can only apply for an ICP-scholarship and not for a Master grant. Residents from Angola, Myanmas, Niger, Pakistan, Algeria, China and Namibië can apply for a Master grant.

Number of awards: Each year, a maximum of 10 scholarships can be awarded.

Sponsorship duration: The masters scholarships are awarded for the duration of the studies, aiming at the delivery of a Ghent University diploma after maximum 2 years of study. The scholarship is in principle paid for the total duration of the studies. In case of a 2-year study programme, the 2nd year will be paid upon successful completion of the first year.

Scholarship benefits: The scholarship consists of an allowance of 1000 euro per month, an installation fee of 500€ and a refund of the yearly tuition fee with a maximum of 80€. In case of increased tuition fee for the master’s programme, Ghent University will only reimburse the refundable part. Airline ticket and visa costs are carried by the student.

Method of Application: Application depends on whether you are a NEW student who have not applied before (your course of study is taken into consideration during the application), OR whether you are already in a first Masters course at UGent, OR students already having official admission.

For the complete application details, including General rules and guidelines for a successful application, please visit the official website (link to it is found below).

DEADLINES: There are two deadlines per session – December 2013 (for new students) and May 2014 (for students with admission). For the past session, deadline for New students was on 21st December 2012. For Students already in their first Master at Ghent University or already having official admission to Ghent University, it was 1st of March 2013 (to ask for the application form) and 31st of March 2013 (to submit soft and hard copy of the filled in application form).

PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who already have received a Master Grant in the past, are not eligible.

If you would have more questions, send an e-mail to developmentcooperation@UGent.be

Application Deadline: 21 December 2013 / May 2014

Open to International Satudents: Yes