Career Coach Jessica Manca Shares 10 Questions MBA Candidates Can Ask When Finding the ‘Right’ Career

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 07/25/2014 - 03:01

Vancouver, BC (PRWEB) July 24, 2014

On July 24, 2014, certified coach and author Jessica Manca will share her advice on finding the right career with MBA candidates at the Vancouver campus of Simon Fraser University (SFU). The author of “Finding Passion: A Self-Discovery Approach for Navigating Career Crossroads” speaks just weeks before their student journey concludes, and their career journey resumes.

Post-graduation is a daunting time. Graduates struggle to weigh important job criteria with the need to enter the job market quickly. How can one stay true to professional ambitions? Such as the decision to pursue an MBA, receiving one introduces the next life-changing threshold to cross. Manca’s advice is essential for graduates facing this challenge.

“As we near the end of our MBA experience and turn our focus to looking for the ‘right career’, there has never been a better time to discover our passions and draw from the experiences and advice from someone like Jessica. I’m excited to learn more about how her self-discovery strategies can help me and my fellow MBA classmates figure out how to successfully navigate our futures,” says Beedie student and MBA candidate, Jenifer Dhanday.

Manca recommends MBA candidates reframe the term “right career” to finding the “right career for me.” Within the job market, a graduate’s tendency to compare themselves to peers may harm them in the long-run in place of establishing a strong foundation for their career goals, now.

“It took fifteen years for me to return to the values, dreams and career I had first imagined because I had repeatedly been comparing myself to peers and naturally following what my employers wanted from me,” Manca states. “By avoiding the tough questions we need to ask ourselves, we can establish a great career. It just may not necessarily be in alignment to our long-term goals and passion.”

Having left a successful career to pursue her passion, Manca offers these self-discovery questions to shift thinking and open possibilities for today's students:

1. What’s the relationship between what you value and what you want in your career?

2. What’s the next possible step on your career path?

3. What changes by letting go of comparison to others?

4. Whose permission is needed to experiment?

5. What limits do words like "should" have on your dreams?

6. [After graduation], what are you studying now?

7. [When facing a decision], what are your emotions trying to tell you?

8. What's possible if you bring your future forward each day?

9. What's the lifestyle and pace you want to create?

10. What's the best that can happen when you live your passion?

To purchase a copy of her self-discovery book with additional strategies to help navigate career crossroads, visit Amazon under Job Hunting/Career Guides.

About Beedie Graduate Business Women’s Council

The Beedie Graduate Business Women’s Council is comprised of passionate Beedie School of Business students who believe that knowledge-sharing and networking with executive women, along with providing insights and guidance to younger generations, can lead to enhanced careers and greater diversity in leadership in BC. Visit http://beedie.sfu.ca/gbwc 

About Jessica Manca

Jessica Manca is a certified coach, author, entrepreneur, speaker and former management consultant. She founded Managing Mindspaces, a professional coaching firm, providing sensible career and life coaching services to professionals making life-changing decisions. Manca holds an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) by the International Coach Federation and also is a Certified Executive Coach (CEC). She serves clients across the United States and Canada. For upcoming events and webinars, visit http://www.managingmindspaces.com.