Essay topics: The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing.
During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep.
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
Vice president of Quiot manufacturing made a decision for shortening work shift to reduce on-the-job accident and increase productivity. Also, expert explained that because of the sleep deprivation, it causes on-the job accidents. It seems very coherent from the passage, but there aren’t any assumptions that support the value of argument.
The factual value is that Quiot manufacturing has one hour more than Panoply industries plant, and it goes directly to the reason why Quiot manufacturing has more problem on the on-the-job accidents than Panoply. In summary, argument wanted to explain that now that Quiot manufacturing has one more hour to shift work, it will cause the sleep deprivation and fatigue. However, there is not even single proof that workers from panoply neither are going to rest right after work nor they don’t have on-the-job accident because of sleep deprivation and fatigue. Author should give an assumption that workers in Panoply don’t have cause of on-the-job accident regarding to sleep deprivation or fatigue.
Moreover, when there is reduction in amount of work shift, it will give more productivity. However, there is unstated assumption that workers from Quiot manufacturing are not hard workers. Readers doesn’t know whether Quiot workers manufacture the item efficiently or not. If Quiot workers are hard workers who are always making items five times than Panoply, then author couldn’t assert. Even argument doesn’t have rate of efficiency either worker has fatigue or not. Since there is no specific proof, vice president, thus, can’t measure the productivity.
There are various types of Manufacturing. In general, when we compare two companies, these companies have the same items that they are selling and they should have only different skills. However, vice president only gives the numerical amount of time to reduce so that workers would not going to harm themselves regardless of what Quiot manufacturing does. For example, Quiot manufacturing produces high quality of car such as Ferrari, Bugatti etc. On the other hand, Panoply industries plant produces car frames. This will basically understand the reason why Quiot manufacturing has to work one hour more work than Panoply.
- The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population than did t (79)
- Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and (50)
- The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times. (50)
- "Despite its downtown location, the Rialto Movie Theater, a local institution for five decades, must make big changes or close its doors forever. It should follow the example of the new Apex Theater in the mall outside of town. When the Apex opened last y (58)
- Learning is primarily a matter of personal discipline; students cannot be motivated by school or college alone. (50)
- Politicians should pursue common ground and reasonable consensus rather than elusive ideals.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In de (50)
- Scientist and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasonin (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a large, highly diversified company."Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two regions. The buildings were erected by different constructio (66)
- The following appeared on the Mozart School of Music Web site."The Mozart School of Music should be the first choice for parents considering enrolling their child in music lessons. First of all, the Mozart School welcomes youngsters at all ability and age (54)
- The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries. (83)