SuperCorp recently moved its headquarters to Corporateville. The recent surge in the number of homeowners in Corporateville proves that Corporateville is a superior place to live than Middlesburg, the home of SuperCorp's current headquarters. Moreover, Mi

SuperCorp recently moved its headquarters to Corporateville. The recent surge in the number of homeowners in Corporateville proves that Corporateville is a superior place to live than Middlesburg, the home of SuperCorp's current headquarters. Moreover, Middleburg is a predominately urban area and according to an employee survey, SuperCorp has determined that its workers prefer to live in an area that is not urban. Finally, Corporateville has lower taxes than Middlesburg, making it not only a safer place to work but also a cheaper one. Therefore, Supercorp clearly made the best decision.

The argument states that moving SuperCorp's headquarters to Corporateville is a good decision. While this may be true, the argument makes several assumptions. The validity of the decision clearly depends on how many and to what extent the assumptions made hold true. Firstly the argument states that there is a recent surge in the number of homeowners in Corporateville. No supporting information is provided. The argument assumes that the source of this information is reliable and assumes this information to be valid. The statement in the first line of the paragraph may well be based on biased opinion or half-truths. If untrue this undermines the decision taken The argument also assumes the superiority of Corporateville based on it having a larger number of homeowners. This correlation seems unwarranted, and is not supported by any information. A larger number of homeowners may actually mean that a city is more croweded, filthy and can affect the validity of the final decision taken by SuperCorp. No information is provided in the argument about how urban Corporateville is, the argument simply states that Middlesburg is predominantly urban. If Corporateville is also predominantly urban, then the validity of the decision is seriously affected. The arguement also gives to information on the "employee survey" conducted. Was it a fair survey?What was the sample size of employees considered? What percentage of actual employees prefer to work in an unurbanised area? The argument also assumes that the specific greivances employees have with the urbanised Middlesburg will be addressed in Corporateville. No supporting information is provided to support the same and the this assumption, if proven incorrect and severly undermine the decision taken. "Lower taxes makes a place safer" - the argument seems to assume this, with no information provided to butress this claim. Middlesburg may well be the safer place to work and this affects the rationality of the decision taken. Finally, the argument assumes that lower taxes make a place cheaper to live in. While this may be true, no information is provided other important factors - cost of real estate, prices of essential commodities, etc that may impact the price of living in Corporateville. This assumption , if proven fales will severly undermine the decision taken to move to Corporateville. Thus the argument makes several key assumptions, and unfortunately no information is support of these arguments is given. It is easy to realize that the effectiveness of the decision of SuperCorp to move to Corporateville is heavily dependant on these factors.