College is a place where a student decides about his career, understands what he is capable of and then goes on from there. If there are no options given to the student, then sometimes it makes difficult for most of the students. I completely disagree with above the claim.

If there are electives then, the student tries and learns a different subject apart from his academic plan, which gives an opportunity for the student to think differently from his selected major field. For example, if the student's major is computer science, if electives were not provided then he would just learn about computer science and not know anything other than his major. If the student goes for an interview, he might excel in his subject, but if he doesn't know anything other than that then, he may not be successful in his interview. In this competitive world, the person should know more than just knowing his subject. It might not appear to be that important, but in the long run it will help.

Also, if electives are given then the student will have more options to decide about his career. He may change his major or may even go for higher studies in that field. Many people have their first job based on the electives which they opted rather than on their major field. Some students may select their major without having any prior knowledge about it or may choose it just because it gives them a good position and salary after they will finish their studies. But, this might be the case. To do or start any job or career or whatever for that matter, a person should be interested in doing that. Without interest nothing will happen. So, just because the subject is in demand having it has a major will not help. For example, if a person chooses mechanical engineering as his major and is not interested in any part of it then, definitely he will fail miserably. But, this can be avoided if he chooses an elective and if he thinks it will work for him then he may change his major and save from failure.

An elective may also serve as a complete package for the student. For example, for an Information Science student, elective like project management will help him have better job opportunity and better options for his career.

So, definitely having electives is a good thing and the universities should not eliminate it.