‘’On average, middle-aged consumers devote 39 percent of their retail expenditure to department store products and services, while for younger consumers the average is only 25 percent. Since the number of middle-aged people will increase dramatically with

‘’On average, middle-aged consumers devote 39 percent of their retail expenditure to department store products and services, while for younger consumers the average is only 25 percent. Since the number of middle-aged people will increase dramatically within the next decade, department stores can expect retail sales to increase significantly during that period. Furthermore, to take advantage of the trend, these stores should begin to replace some of those products intended to attract the younger consumer with products intended to attract the middle-aged consumer.’’

The argument that the department store products for middle-aged consumers will increase as a result of a rise in the number of middle-aged people omits some important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument. There are some missing assumptions such as the same consumption proportions will be exercised by all middle-aged consumers regardless of period and the population structure. Since these are not stated properly in the argument, it is not well sound.

Most conspicuously, the argument makes a tacit assumption about the future taste of middle-aged consumers. It assumes t...

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/gmatgre