Essay topics: "The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition."
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
Everybody has their own specific opinions regarding politics and leadership. Walk into a random bar at evening and you will encounter the phenomenon of the "bar philosopher", that person that will resolve all struggles in the world with his/her reasoning. Some do this by cooperation with the people surrounding them in this hypothetical situation, others just do it on their own. This banal event that happens on the corner of every street in every town raises the question for future generations if we should prepare them for leadership by instilling in them a sense of cooperation or competition. Although a fine balance between both seems needed, in the end cooperation might be the more important value.
To begin with, cooperation is most of the time the more difficult quality of the two to teach, however it may give the biggest reward. Cooperation comes forth out of empathy, and by creating bonds between yourself and other individuals, they will feel that same empathy for you. In a society where jobs are getting more and more specific, this quality is extremely valuable. If you are for example good at something and you collaborate with other people who can make use of your specific quality, you will be able to count on them if you need their specific area of knowledge in one of your problems. Since most problems are getting more and more complex, by cooperation one can attain more and better results than by working individually.
Although the previous argument is valid, there is an aspect about competition that seems to be forgotten, which is that it brings out the best in people. By promoting competition, you can let people develop themselves to their full capacity. Out of psychological expreiments there has been proven that if 1 men needs to pull a rope with a weight of 1 ton attached to it, he will pull almost twice as hard than if he is set into a group of 5 men to pull a rope with 5 ton attached to it. Therefore cooperation might introduce the habit to slack of and give a lesser result. If one regards it this way, it is clear that competition gains an edge on cooperation.
However all this is true, the most important factor that comes to play is of course modern society itself. Our society is nowadays so complicated in all its problems that working alone is almost impossible, except for the very few geniuses out there. Therefore, the worries of today and tomorrow should be tackled by a group of people rather than one. And even if you put a group together of people who are extremely competitive, they won't work together as good as a group that learned how to cooperate. Therefore cooperation can reach more in this society than an individual can by being competitive even if the group is slacking of as was reasoned in the previous paragraph.
The conclusion can be made that a fine balance between competition and cooperation needs to be found, with an edge given to cooperation. Although there are certain points that can be made for competition, in our society it will be more important to prepare the young people for leadership by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, since the problems that need to be tackled are becoming too complex to handle alone.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|4 days 12 hours ago||mohamed.abaza||50||Read full essay|
|6 days 4 hours ago||davidarranow||50||Read full essay|
|1 week 6 days ago||bigdonnychris||54||Read full essay|
|1 week 6 days ago||bigdonnychris||66||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 2 days ago||elifyeg||66||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 6 days ago||ahrazidaniko||50||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 2 days ago||arinaa_s||54||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 5 days ago||gaoni||50||Read full essay|
|4 weeks 1 day ago||mzaid||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 day ago||bharti.sharma2792||50||Read full essay|
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? - A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars. - Use examples and reasons to support your position. (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? - It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts. - Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (85)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? - "Television advertising directed toward young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed." - Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (80)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company. - "According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in (80)
- "The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or dis (85.4545)
- The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine. - "A recent study rating 300 male and female advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the ex (85)
- "Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your pos (96.66670000000001)
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station. - "Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the c (90)
- "A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the posi (86)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client. - "Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region experi (75)