The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i

The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.

"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In the recommendation, the author claims that Monarch Books must open a café in its store; because it has been well-known for many years that have a lot of customers. He/she believes that the café will attract more customers and, the space of it will be provided by alloting the part of children’s book to it; he/she mentions that the population of teenagers under ten is decreasing and, therefore this part will not be more popular. At first glance, it might be reasonable claim and conclusion but, with a more deep thinking, it will be revealed that it is not so convincing. There are some questions and answers that must be taken into account before making any final conclusion.

First, the author states that Monarch Book has a vast number of customers and, present this reason as the first one for opening the café; however, here a question will be raised: why the Monarch Book could attract such this number of customer? Is it enough that just present its long background in the area and, presenting a wide section of books? Or there might be another reason such as its environment. It is possible that customers have chosen it because of its calm environment and placid space let them to read peacfully. If a café open, the calm space would be destroyed and some of customers might never choose it. Hence, a veriaty of reasons must be taken into account that why Monarch Book has a lot of customers.

Second, there is another question: is the author sure that by opening a café more customers will be allured? In fact, will customers come to Monarch for its café or book? Is there any another café around it that is more famous for its café? There is a possibility that the customers come to Monarch just for reading and buying books, and prefer go to another place for drinking café. Hence, in the recommendation, presence of another café that can compete with Monarch must be taken into account.

Third, the author alleges that they will close the part of children’s book because the population of teenager under 10 has been decreased. But, there is a question: How does he/she conclude this fact? In fact, what is the relation between declining children under ten and lessen the popularity of books for them? There is a possibility that some of teenagers have a great tendency to book and buy and read a lot that could cover this reduction in population. Therefore, the author has not explained this relation thoroughly.

As a summary, there are some questions which can be raised on the author’s recommendation. All these questions must be counted and answered in an appropriate way that can make a convincing conclusion; otherwise, it will be weak and could not be accepted.

Sentence: It is possible that customers have chosen it because of its calm environment and placid space let them to read peacfully.
Error: peacfully Suggestion: peacefully

Sentence: Hence, a veriaty of reasons must be taken into account that why Monarch Book has a lot of customers.
Error: veriaty Suggestion: variety

Argument 1 -- OK

Argument 2 -- OK

Argument 3 -- OK