Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and

Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Knowledge never restrains our minds rather than it helps in the decision making, advance thinking etc. Formal education system is the backbone of knowledge. We get knowledge of everything from that only. So, i am not agree with the author's statement “Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free”. If we see in long run then we can see that formal education helps our minds to think in a various ways and gives us the idea of better judgment.

Beginning from childhood we get knowledge in a particular and systematic way. From parents we learn social decorum, basic behavior lessons etc. After that we go to school where we get knowledge of science, arts etc. Knowledge is one the most important factor in the development of mind for any human. More knowledge he will acquire more he can think in various direction and he can make good judgment by self. They can independently act everywhere whether it is in work or society. For example, Sir Newton gave important theory only because he had undergone the formal education where he learned basic concepts. Those concepts only helped him in thinking in depth of the subject. Not only Newton, we can see any noble person's biography and can observe that all of them gone thorough formal education system.

There is a very popular adage that empty mind is always a dangerous thing. If you leave free an empty mind it will only do wrong and dangerous things and i don’t think this is the real purpose of seeting that free. Formal education teaches us to think in a practical and feasible way. Formal education gives us the idea of what our forerunners had opinion about particular thing.

In ancient time our societies were in hand of theocrats and we were restrained by those dogmas. But due to formal education we get deeper knowledge and we abolished those wrong dogmas. Previously we had wrong knowledge of many things and that time we rely on those principles but due to new scientific study revealed the truth. For example, In ancient time we believe that sun revolves around earth and earth is in the centre of universe but modern scientist have already proved those claims wrong.

In sum, i would say that, formal education gives us a broader way of thinking rather than restricting them. Above examples are clearing showing that how formal education system can affect our society in a positive way. Human learning is a layered process which can only achieve by following a particular education system, which makes us an independent and matured person.