Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.

The author here states that the scandals are more useful than any reformer, when it co mes to solve the problem of the society. Scandals come into the picture when media and social networking sites play role to make a crime, corruption known to the world. Sometimes, these scandals are aired to earn more of TRP and popularity. So, i do not accede the author completely. As a coin, scandal also has its pros and cons.

The process of coal distribution in india has never been known to the general public so far the Coalgate scam came into the picture. This scam created the awareness among the general public about their corrupted politicians and government. this is the example, where the scandal proved its usefulness. Many more such examples can be cited to prove my stand here, 2G scam, helicopter scam, tamilnadu land scam are another examples. This scams have thrown light on the general public, and hence these scams are important for a nation.

On the other hand, the MMS scams and the nude pictures of the actresses going viral on the internet are the examples, which have nothing to do with the public. It is just for the fame of the actresses. Inspite of wasting time and money on such clips, media might have funded the money to the needy people.

To sum, i would say that scandals are required only when it comes for the welfare of the nation and not just for the entertainment for the public. Reformers have their role to spread the ideas among the public and make them stand on one path, which can also be beneficial for the population.

Sentence: Many more such examples can be cited to prove my stand here, 2G scam, helicopter scam, tamilnadu land scam are another examples.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to another and examples

Sentence: This scams have thrown light on the general public, and hence these scams are important for a nation.
Suggestion: Refer to This and scams