Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined.Th

Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined.

The Pleasantville School Board should take measures to increase the number of volunteers. Teachers, parents, and other community members agree that it is important for young people to learn the value of community service. Requiring high school students to engage in community service would provide much-needed assistance to worthy local charities and would also help young people understand the importance of giving back to their community. For this reason, the Pleasantville School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on the assumptions and what the implications are if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The major issue here is that of decline in the number of teenage volunteers in charitable organizations at Pleasantville.

First assumption in this argument is that school board will play a major role in resolving this issue. This is one of the strong assusmptions as most of the teenagers are school going and thus measures taken by school may help in the increasing the number of volunteers. But, that will happen only if measures are efficient with incentive schemes.

Secondly, it assumes that engaging high-school students in community service would provide help to the organizations and would also help the young people understand the importance of giving back. But this will only happen if students willingly engage in such activities. Forcing them to help organization will never make students learn the value of giving back. Nor will it help the organizations as rather than doing actual charity work, students may use it as an excuse to flunk classes and other household work.

Third, the argument states that a scheme requiring students to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation will increase the number of volunteers and help the charitable organizations. Although making a compulsory scheme will certainly increase the number of volunteers, assumption that it will help the organizations is doubted. It depends on how effectively the scheme is implemented. For example, if students are not monitored during their voluntary work, they might falsely claim their share of hours and pass this task. It may also lead to dishonesty and decline of moral values. So, only an effective implementation of this mandatory 40 hour community scheme will help solve the problem of charitable organization, otherwise it is of no help to both the students as well as the community.

So these are the assumptions of the given argument, and the implications if assumptions go wrong.

Sentence: This is one of the strong assusmptions as most of the teenagers are school going and thus measures taken by school may help in the increasing the number of volunteers.
Error: assusmptions Suggestion: assumptions

Needs more words for introduction and conclusion.