Essay topics: The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
It is a popularly believed that the efficiency of a state's leaders is best evaluated by scrutinizing the well-being of the country's dwellers. Although this idea has a plethora of proponents who deeply but perhaps mistakenly believe that well-being of population is the goal of government, I disagree with the issue because the history of mankind has many examples of effective leaders whose citizens had insufficient level of life.
To begin with, we who live in western societies, which mostly are democratic ones, get used to the idea that elected officials have a primal goal to serve their voters and that well-being of population is an effective way to measure the work of the officials. For instance, we may take a look at Greece. The country is a part of Euro Union and ten years ago it has a high GDP per capita as well as high standards of living; however, in 2008 the state faced serious hardships the well-being of that country's citizens has dropped dramatically, the rate of unemployment has skyrocketed from 6 to 30 per cent, financial support of senior citizens has fallen as well. The population of Greece rightly accused inefficient government of the problems owing to the fact that majority of those problems were created by incompetent actions and decisions of country's leaders. This example illustrates that in fact it is possible to use level of well-being of a state's citizens as a tool for measurement of a leaders’ effectiveness. However, may we aver that this is the best way to do so?
The answer on this question is "no" because the history of humanity has many examples of effective leaders whose people suffered under their governance. Probably the best example of this stance we may find in the recent history of Russia former USSR. In the 1930s Stalin has seized the governance of the state. He organized labor camps for prisoners; they were used to erect plants and manufactures and dig canals. During this period of time the state underwent a significant shortage of food and the central Russia and Ukraine faced severe famine which toll was hundreds of thousands. At the same time, Stalin may be considered as a highly effective leader due to the fact that during his rule the country's GDP tripled from 1931 to 1941and the it became an industrial country with developed manufacturing. This example demonstrates that well-being of country's citizens not always can be used for measuring of leaders’ effectiveness.
Finally, someone may use is that the example above is obsolete one and it should not be used for contemporary society but as far as I am concerned the well-being of a society is not an ultimate goal of government but rather a byproduct of an effective leadership which may or may not be achieved. For instance, during the great depression the citizens of the USA faced serious economic problems, Teddy Roosevelt, launched programs which accelerated and healed the United States’ economy and as a result alleviate the suffering of citizens. In other words, the primal goal was to strengthen economy in the first turn and only than improve life of people.
In conclusion, although it is a common belief that the best way to examine efficiency of leaders is to analyze the well-being of state's citizens, I disagree with it because some leaders who are seen as effective do not bother about well-being of citizens, perhaps, because the well-being is not the ultimate goal but merely a possible outcome.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 month 4 weeks ago||urvangP||0||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 weeks ago||urvangP||0||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Sril||50||Read full essay|
|4 months 21 hours ago||ZhicongLiang||66||Read full essay|
|6 months 2 weeks ago||paras001||66||Read full essay|
|9 months 2 weeks ago||Av9ash||66||Read full essay|
|11 months 1 week ago||tilwani||58||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||phdphd||54||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||phdphd||58||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 weeks ago||ErichDi||66.5||Read full essay|
- 23092017 When a country develops its technology, the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (77)
- 23.09.2017Some people believe that children’s leisure activities must be educational, otherwise they are a complete waste of time.Do you agree or disagree? (69.5)
- 22.09.2017 Some people feel that entertainers (e.g film stars, pop musicians or sports stars) are paid too much money.Do you agree or disagree?Which other types of job should be highly paid? (82)
- 22/09/2017Write a letter to a friend to ask for his/her help to collect money for a charity organization. The letter needs to cover the following details.- why do you want to collect money for the charity organization?- Ask your friend to help- explain in (82.5)
- 22.09.2017 Research indicates that the characteristics we are born with have much more influence on our personality and development than any experiences we may have in our life.Which do you consider to be the major influence? (74.5)
- 21.09.2017 You have travelled by plane last week and your suitcase was lost. You have still heard nothing from the airline company. Write to the airline and explain what happened.Describe your suitcase and tell them what was in it.Find out what they are g (77)
- 21.09.2017 In some countries the average weight and fitness are decreasing.What do you think are the causes of these problems and what measures could be taken to solve them? (74.5)
- 20.09.2017 Nowadays the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology.In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make?Has this become a positive or negative development? (69.5)
- work with mistakes 18/09/2017You have a full-time job and are also doing a part-time evening course.You now find that you cannot continue the course.Write a letter to the course tutor. In your letter.Describe the situationExplain why you cannot continue a (78.5)
- 19.09.2017Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject.To what extent do you agree or disagree? (89.5)