A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position

"A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college."

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how those examples shape your position.

Some nations have a single national curriculum that all students study until they enter college. This is not the right approach to education for a healthy nation. As is the case in the United States and many devleoped countries, the right approach is to have a common core curriculum that all students learn from, but for there to be allowances for regional differences and teacher ingenuity. A common core gives a good common basis for all students, but a single all-encompassing curriculum can unwittingly cultivate groupthink. Furthermore inflexibility of curriculum is not well-suited to the modern world.

It is clear that some notion of a shared curriculum is required for a sense of nationhood. There is a common set of historical events that are important to a nation, that all students should know. For example in the U.S. – the Bill of Rights, the Civil War, the Civil Rights movement. There is a common body of literature that is important to a nation, that all students should know. Again for example in the U.S. – D.H. Lawrence, John Steinbeck, Toni Morrison. Instill these things as universal knowledge gives all students of a nation a good common basis. When they go to college, they will be able to debate each other on a common footing.
However, a single all-encompassing national curriculum has two key flaws. First and foremost, it will inevitable stifle diversity of thought. Teaching the exact same content to students year after year will have the effect of churning out cookie-cutter high school graduates. In the book 1984, George Orwell famously posits the concept of "groupthink" in a dystopian society where everyone is obligated to learn the same material and, ultimately, have the same opinions. A lack of diversity of thought is profoundly unjust and unfree. To avoid this scenario, we must ensure that any government-mandated curricular content is not all-encompassing.

Just as important is the need for a curriculum to be flexible and adaptable, and a single national curriculum is antithetical to that. Different regions within a nation will have additional educational context that is important for students to learn. In the U.S. for example, it is crucial that students from a particular state learn about the specifics of their state's history and culture, as that will inform their ability to be good state citizens. Furthermore, teachers need to have the freedom to adapt their curriculum to current events and the rapidly changing modern world. A stringent national curriculum results in an education that is out of touch and outdated.
A national curriculum may seem like a good idea, but it is ill-conceived and ill-fated. Beyond a common core that instills a sense of nationhood, any successful educational system needs to allow for diversity of thought, and flexibility of content. This ensures that students can be united and still heterogenous, expressing their individuality in the context of their nation.