In order for any work of art—for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song—to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reason

In order for any work of art—for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song—to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Number of people appreciating the work of arts depends upon the type of art. Some art work can be easily understood by anyone while some requires profound knowledge of the art. I partially agree with the statement that for any work of art, it must be understandable to most people.

Issue can hold true for films. Films are source of entertainment for people of all ages and have larger audience group as compared to the other art work. Understanding and enjoying the film doesn't require any profound skills. Films popularity and business is determined by their box office collections which are proportional to number of people watched the movie. If people understands and appreciate the concept and execution of film they may watch film more then once which in turns improve their business. Liked by few and movie can be a flop. Hence for the success of a film it is important that it is understood by most of people. In country like India almost 90% of the population have watching movies as their hobby. Bollywood targets these audience and make the movies packed which action and romance which is easier to understand and appreciate for people.

Similar to films, songs are also source of entertainment. But they are liked by individual based on their individual taste like Jazz, instrumental, romantic, classical, etc. This divides the population and target audience for the song. Youth is more inclined towards jazz and romantic songs but old generations like classical songs. So for songs, understanding will be based on the age group.

Novels readers are generally very less as compared to those who watch movies or listen to songs. Novel reading is generally considered as hobby rather then source of entertainment. Novel reader are required to have good understanding of the language and strong holding on vocabulary. It may hold true that Novel understood by profound novel reader can be book of dictionary for novice reader.

Other art-work like painting and poems are appreciated by the artful and aesthetic people only. Painting are most difficult to comprehend as it requires a vision and imagination. Only handful people understands and appreciate the painting. Painting gallery invites only those who appreciate and values the painting and it is not everyone's cup of tea.

To conclude, depending upon the type of artwork understanding of the people varies. Art work requiring skills have less audience compared to artwork which acts as a medium of entertainment.

Novel reader are required
Novel readers are required

Painting are most difficult to comprehend
Paintings are most difficult to comprehend

'more than' not 'more then'. You always have this issue.