Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Education, as defined by John Dewey, is the process of facilitating learning and acquiring knowledge, skills, beliefs, values and habits. It is the duty of educational institutions to facilitate this holistic process. While the proposition that universities should mandate students to take courses outside their field of study is highly contentious; a system where the learning process is confined to a particular discipline without any orientation with other areas undermines the meaning and purpose of true education.

Foremost, true education invokes an all round development of students. This cannot be ensured without studying subjects touching upon different aspects of human life and personality. To acquire aesthetic and intellectual maturity, students must take courses in arts, music and literature. Inculcating a sense of responsibility towards society and environments entails studies in social, environmental and morals sciences, etc. While studying history is important to learn from past lessons and attain wisdom; engagement in sports provide physical wellness. Similarly, courses in soft-skills are imperative to foster communication skills of the students.

Moreover, true education also aims to develop expertise in one area to be able to make significant contribution in advancing its knowledge. The world is governed by interplay of myriad physical and social phenomena where one cannot be understood in the absence of others. Therefore, developing the expertise in one area requires knowledge about other aspects influencing that area. Political scientists and sociologists need to know history to understand the past events that shaped socio-political ideologies. A computer engineer needs knowledge about different businesses, transport, communications, etc. to develop relevant software. Scientists require technical writing skills to communicate and publish their research.

The advent and embracement of interdisciplinary research further lend credence to the statement. Integrating knowledge from different areas has proved indispensable to develop smart solutions for tackling contemporary challenges. The emergence of anti-biotic resistant bacteria strains called ‘superbugs’ required collaborative expertise form polymer chemists and biologists from IBM to develop solution in the form of ‘ninja polymers’. Similarly, great scientific accomplishments have been made by juxtaposing mathematics on music, architecture on nature, science on arts and so on. Moreover, there are many historical examples of individuals who used their expertise and knowledge of one field to significantly contribute to the other. Consider, for example, Margaret Thatcher, the first British prime minister with a science degree, known for his contribution in formulating policies for climate change. It is safe to claim that it was perhaps the scientific temper and awareness of the chemist turned politician that prompted her to bring the issues of global warming in mainstream British politics.

Some may argue that merely dabbling with myriad academic offerings would result in dilettantes and not professionals, unable to make significant contribution in any endeavor. This can only be averted by not over extending one’s academic pursuits and striking a proper balance between one’s major field of study and other discipline. Another argument emphasizes the fundamentals of university education – specialization and streamlining. When students are coerced to take up courses not necessarily required, it diverts concentration. The already existing pressure on students due to gigantic syllabus, impossible deadlines, crunch time, etc. hinders them from concentrating. This can be addressed by making students aware of the benefits different subjects that can help them excel in their own field and encourage them to take up those relevant modules instead of forcing. This in turn would promote a sense of responsibility and independence on part of students.

In conclusion, a good reflection on the meaning and objectives of education and the current challenges it is obligated to tackle is enough to support the author’s recommendation. However, given the academic load students have, a pragmatic approach for universities is to encourage them, instead of forcing, to take additional subjects by highlighting the importance of different inter-disciplinary courses for excelling in their own professional careers, and allow them to decide and chose what they want to study.