Free as a bird in London

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 02/24/2013 - 20:32

Why did you move to London?

Our youngest daughter moved to Auckland to go to uni and we had a severe case of empty nest syndrome. So we decided to fly the nest too, and do the OE we never got around to doing in our 20s. London seemed the perfect choice, I knew I could get work there as a nurse, and its location is so handy for travelling to the rest of Europe.

What do you do there?

After wading through a massive amount of bureaucracy, sitting an IELTs (English language test!), and a month overseas nurses programme course in Bournemouth, I secured a two-year work permit and English nursing registration. Three months after arriving I started work at Guys Hospital in London Bridge.

What do you like or dislike about it?

London is beautiful. It has the most amazing architecture, art, history, and so much happening all the time. I love musical theatre, so we see lots of shows, and my husband is a musician and of course there are music opportunities everywhere. Shopping is fantastic, and I even like the crowds. I think the only thing I dislike is that my family and friends are so far away in New Zealand. It would be nice to pop home but it's just too far and too expensive.

How does the cost of living compare to New Zealand?

We have found London to be really expensive. Often £1 equals the value of about NZ$1 (although of course £1 costs $2 to buy). For example, a cheap dinner out costs about £15 for a main, a coffee £3, average pair of shoes £100, bottle of cheap wine £10. And an average 1-2 bed apartment costs around £400 a week.

What do you do on weekends?

When I'm not working we travel. It's nice seeing places in bite-sized chunks, like three days in Paris, two in Amsterdam, then a weekend in Oxford. There's lots to see around the UK and travel can be cheap here, especially when booked a few weeks ahead of time.

What do you think of the food?

Every type and style of food is available here. We eat out quite a lot, and I particularly love the curries here. My absolute favourite thing though is the ready-made meals from the supermarkets here. You can get amazing salads, and ready-made almost anything you want - Indian, Chinese, French, Italian and British. I've never really enjoyed cooking, so it's perfect for me!

What's the best way to get around the city?

The public transport here is fantastic, with the Tube particularly good because there are never any traffic jams. The locals moan about Tube delays but the only delays we have had last a minute or two! Buses are good, too, and it's still a novelty to go upstairs on the double-deckers. Taxis, though expensive in comparison, are brilliant when you're lost (London cabbies are world-reknowned for their knowledge of the city).

What's the shopping like?

Shopping here is fun. There's the excitement of shopping with another million people at the Oxford and Regent Street stores, or the massive Westfield centres, the underground malls of Canary Wharf, and markets galore. There are the iconic stores here as well, like Harrods, Selfridges and Liberty, which are fun just to visit. And, of course, all the designer stores, where you might actually see the designer, like Stella McCartney or Vivienne Westwood. And every art gallery and historic building has its own shop, usually full of amazing gifts.

What's the nightlife like?

There is always a huge choice of things to do at night here, with plays, cabarets, shows, live music in pubs and clubs and concerts. The West End, of course, is abuzz every night with a huge variety of different musicals and plays. There's a lot of private clubs here, too, where you pay to be a member, and they get some great bands through. There are numerous big concert venues near the city, with popular bands playing. Even the local corner pubs seem to have a mini theatre upstairs and they often have plays, music or poetry.

What is your favourite part of the city?

I love the West End and Soho. I love being in town, even on a cold wet night and the streets are teeming with people coming out of shows, filling up the pubs and restaurants. It's such a buzz.

What's your must-do thing for visitors?

If you come to London, you must see a show on the West End, climb to the top of St Paul's, and visit North Greenwich by boat along the Thames, eat a curry at Brick Lane and buy something from Harrods, and go to The Courtauld Gallery, Tate Britain and Tate Modern. Oh and hire a bicycle and ride through Kensington and Hyde Parks.

What are your top tips for tourists?

Get the Time Out London iPhone app. Every time we have a few spare hours in town we get inspiration from it. It tells you what's on and how to get there, with daily updates. It also has reviews on every cafe and restaurant. We've been to some obscure places recommended by Time Out that even our friends who have lived here for years have never heard about.

If you know an expat who wants to share the inside knowledge on their home away from home, email escape@star-times.co.nz with Expat in the subject line.

Article references
www.stuff.co.nz