Essay topics: The graph below shows UK acid rain emissions, measured in millions of tones, from four
different sectors between 1990 and 2007.
The line graph indicates the acid rain emission produced by four sectors in the UK from 1990 to 2007.
Overall, the majority of acid rain emission was produced by the electricity, gas and water supply sector at the beginning. Throughout the entire period, the figures for most sectors fell disproportionally, with the exception of transportation and communication sector.
As showed by the graph in 1991, the highest amount of about 3.4 million tons of acid rain was produced by the electricity, gas and water supply sector, compared to 2 million tons for the other industries sector at the same year. In contrast, the transport and communication as well as the domestic sector only accounted for 0.8 and 0.7 million tons of acid rain emission respectively.
By 2007, the figure for electricity, gas and water supply field drop significantly, falling from 3.4 million tons to only 0.5 million tons and fluctuated in the year of 1997 and 1999. It can clearly be seen that acid rain emission caused by domestic and other industries sector were followed by the similar pattern, with the number reduced to only 2.2 and 1.2 million tons in 2007. However, the transport and communication sector was responsible for the growing amount of acid rain emission, the number of which reached the peak of 1 million tons in 2005.
- Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages? (80)
- Some countries achieve international success by building specialized sports facilities for top athletes to train instead of providing sports facilities that everyone can use. Do you think it is a positive or negative development? (93.33329999999999)
- Families who send their children to private schools should not be required to pay taxes that support the state education system. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (60)
- The graph and table below give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries. (82.5)
- Some people believe that children are given too much free time. They feel that this time should be used to do more school work.How do you think education shoudl spend their free time? (85)
- uccessful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both these views and give your opinion. (85)
- The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030 (70)
- Some people think that the teenage years are the happiest time of most people lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness, in spite of greater responsibilities. （important) (51.25)
- With the increasing demand for energy sources of oil and gas, people should look for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched places. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of damaging such areas? (73.33329999999999)
- Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (66.66670000000001)