The figure gives information about smoking habits of the UK population by age Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The figure gives information about smoking habits of the UK population by age.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The bar chart shows people’s smoking behaviour in the UK by age group.
Overall, age seems to be a significant factor of smoking tendency.
About 60% of people in the young age (16-24 years) had never smoked and the proportion tended to decrease with age. The percentage of the elderly having never smoked was only over 40%. However, the number of individuals got rid of smoking increased. Only around 10% of people in the youngest age group were ex-smokers, whereas this proportion in the oldest age group was over 40%.
Besides, people in the age of 25 to in the age of 34 appeared to be the lightest smokers and only a small percentage of people in old age smoked lightly. People in the middle age (45-54) were the heaviest smokers, with about 15%. Otherwise, only 5% of 65-74 age group individuals were heavy smokers, the same pattern can be seen for 16-24 age group.