The graph below shows the US consumers average annual expenditures on cell phone and residential phone services

The line chart illustrates the average spending patterns of Americans on mobile and residential phone services reported every single year from 2001 to 2010.

Overall, the spending on cell phone services saw a steady increase over the whole period while it declined in terms of household phone services.

From 2001 to 2006, expenditure on cell phone services rose from over $200 to under $550. At the same time, the US's consumers' average spending on residential phone services plunged from under $700 to about $540. In the first 5 years of the period, Americans spent a larger percentage of their budget on household phone services.

In the last 10 years, the expenditure on cell phone services overtook the other figure residential ones and continued surging up to around 750 dollars in 2010. In the following six-year period, the American spending on residential phone services maintained decreasing from about 540 dollars to over 400 dollars.