School children are becoming far too dependent on computers. This is having an alarming effect on reading and writing skills. Teachers need to avoid using computers in the classroom at all costs and go back to teaching basic study skills.Do you agree or d

School children are becoming far too dependent on computers. This is having an alarming effect on reading and writing skills. Teachers need to avoid using computers in the classroom at all costs and go back to teaching basic study skills.

Do you agree or disagree?

To a certain extent I agree that computers reduce the level of children’s essential academic skills. However, I also believe that these electronic devices are more of a help than a hindrance.

Admittedly, writing and reading skills of young students have deteriorated due to excessive use of computers in recent years. Many of them use their messengers installed on their home computers in order to interact with other people, and they often send messages where speed and conciseness are more important than spelling and grammar. In the course of communication, each person unconsciously accepts the incorrect content. As a result, these pupils take the same attitude toward their assignments.

Despite the argument above, I believe that it is more beneficial to discipline children along with using computers because typed assignments are much easier to read and are much neater. Sometimes, it is almost impossible to read notes or texts which are handwritten. For example, if a doctor prepares a medical report in illegible handwriting rather than in adoption of electronic prescribing, and hands it over to his patient, this could lead to confusion and consequently disastrous medical mistakes. According to official statistics, doctors’ sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually. Thus, it may be better to train children to focus not on handwriting but on presenting information as accurately as possible, with the help of computers.

In conclusion, there are convincing arguments both for and against the impact of computers on young students in terms of education; however I tend to consider these high-tech devices to be rather useful for children’s writing and reading abilities.

due to excessive use of computers
due to the excessive use of computers

doctors’ sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually
Description: what is the verb for this sentence? can you re-write this sentence?

More content wanted for 'why teachers should not go back to teaching basic study skills.'