Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.

Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

It is true that because we live in globalization era, we need to teach our children a foreign language early. While some experts suggest that it will be better for children to be taught a foreign language at primary school, it seems to me that it has both advantage and disadvantage.

During primary school, especially at the first half, children’s skill and sense of language is being established. They even do not perfectly master their native language at this time. Such condition is a good opportunity to implant a new language to children, because they will easily and instinctively learn any language at this time.

In contrary, it is generally believed that learning a new language is not an easy task. That is why some linguists stated that endurance is a key factor for success in learning a language. Not to mention number of subjects that should be learnt by pupils in primary school, mastering a foreign language comes a new seizer for their free time. Children no longer have enough time to play. Limited free time might spark some psychological problems for children.

To sum up, there is an equal benefit and drawback of early learning of foreign language for children. If teachers can make a language learning becomes an easy task and parents could help their children to manage time effectively, studying a foreign language at primary school is reasonably a good way for preparing children in advance to face globalization era. Unfortunately, even for linguist, learning a new language at any method is still hard to do.