Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.Discuss both these views a

Essay topics: Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

vjtca28's picture

Education is always a controversial topic these days. Some assert that university students can decide to study in his/her favourite field freely, while some argue that studying in the highly demanding majors such as science and technology fields is the right path for them.

To begin with, it is certainly true that young people have the right to choose whatever career paths to pursue. For instance, the young inspiring in art and music take a further education in this line, while some might be passionate in fashion design and improve their skills in fashion. Subsequently, these students can be well equipped, well educated and eventually become a specialist in a creative field, leading them to get in a decent job as well as other professionals.

However, on one argues that most of high-demand jobs in this era are all associated with science and technology. Science is the fundamental theories for other advanced fields and this solid knowledge can be applied versatilely in various ways. Technology is also an essential qualification in a job market nowadays. Therefore, graduating in a science and technology degree is a value asset for the young nowadays.

Despite the advantages of learning science and technology in youngsters, the drawbacks of studying this line need to be considered as well. The main disadvantage is that the number of students studying in science is significantly high creates a high competitive class and an extreme pressure to students. Moreover, the high numbers of graduates in science leads to an insufficiency job vacancies in white-collar positions, whereas there is a lack of skilled workers to fulfill in blue-collar jobs. As a result, studying science and technology is not always useful and guaranteed that a person will be employed later.

Although many jobs are required the solid knowledge in science and technology, following in this field is not completely helpful and confirmed the future job security for an individual.