Because of the busy pace of modern life, many children spend most of their time indoors and have little exposure to the natural world.Discuss the effects lack of experience with and understanding of nature can have on children as they grow up. Give reason

Because of the busy pace of modern life, many children spend most of their time indoors and have little exposure to the natural world.

Discuss the effects lack of experience with and understanding of nature can have on children as they grow up. Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Part of a healthy childhood is outdoor activities and exploring nature. Yet, some kids miss out on this because parents are unable to supervise their children due to their busy schedules, thus, limiting their knowledge of the natural world based on what they see on the television or the internet. I believe that this practice has some detrimental effects on a child’s overall growth and development, some of which will be discussed in this essay.

First, kids who stay at home burn less calories and fats than active outdoor kids. Over time, unused calories and excess fats cause derangement of metabolic functions that can increase risks to certain diseases such as childhood obesity. In the outdoors, children are more active and are drawn to run, jump and explore. These activities aid in the elimination of these unwanted substances as well as help in muscle and bone development, giving a child a better overall physical health.

Second, nature stimulates a child’s sense of wonder as they experience the look, the feel, the sound and even the taste of things that the natural world has to offer. Kids who only learned about nature through a computer or television are less curious and are used to passively getting answers rather than actively searching for them and witnessing them firsthand. Thus, nature teaches kids to be more inquisitive and gives them a deep sense of appreciation and understanding about nature.

Lastly, indoor kids who seldom experience the joys of nature will most likely fail to develop an emotional connection to their surroundings. These kids will most likely fail to develop a sense of responsibility towards nurturing and caring for the environment. On the other hand, children who love the outdoors will most likely work to promote its preservation so that their children will also experience the same joy they experienced.

In summary, parents should find time to let their children experience the wonders of the natural world. Depriving children will have some negative impact on their physical, educational and emotional growth and development.