Benefits and Problems of Changing Jobs

Benefits and Problems of Changing Jobs

For personal preference or other reasons, some people don’t stay with one job for good. It is hard to say whether changing jobs is good or bad; however, it may certainly involve both benefits and challenges as well.

On the one hand, a change in jobs offers one some important advantages. Usually, people will choose to take a new job only when it is better than the old one in a certain aspect. A new job can pay more, be easier, or more suitable with them. Also, some people prefer to experience something new. Sticking to one job with repeated routine for some time may become boring and monotonous. In turn, working at a new place will make most employees turn to be dynamic, active, and always pushing themselves to achieving new success.

On the other hand, however, one can be confronted with many challenges once he or she moves between jobs frequently. First, it may take a lot of time and efforts to adapt to a new working environment. This can become more challenging if the new workplace has some working practice or culture of their own. Second, there is a sense of instability and one may not work with all their heart. They do not really devote and contribute all their capacity and constantly think of ‘jumping’ to another job when possible. And as a last disadvantage, people who switch jobs so often will never be rewarded or given incentives for their ‘working time’, since it is too short to be valued. It is interesting that in Vietnamese wisdom, there is a saying that goes ‘Nhất nghệ tinh, nhất thân vinh’, which stresses the importance of possessing a profound investment in one job so as to be successful.

In general, there are good and bad consequences of changing jobs. The choice of whether or not to pick up a new job heavily depends on personal tastes and many other objective factors.

'On the other hand' means 'However'. It doesn't mean 'On another hand'.