News Release — Government of Canada Announces Three Appointments to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 05/24/2013 - 15:00

Ottawa, May 24, 2013 — Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney today announced three full-time appointments to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). Timothy J. Crowhurst, George F. Pemberton and W.J. Sterling Sunley were each appointed to three-year terms in the Vancouver regional office.

Prior to his appointment to the Board, Mr. Pemberton spent most of his career as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). Most recently, he was Team Lead of the Anti-Human Smuggling Initiative, RCMP in Bangkok, Thailand. He lectured extensively at the RCMP Academy and to industry, police and academic groups around the world. Mr. Pemberton received his Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Alberta and his Master of Business Administration from the Rotterdam School of Management in the Netherlands.

Prior to his appointment to the Board, Mr. Sunley was a consultant with Oregon Scientific Global Distribution Ltd. where his key responsibilities included strategic planning, business development, marketing strategies and communications. He also served as President and Co-Founder of Camnex Marketing Inc. and held a number of positions with other financial companies. Mr. Sunley received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science from the University of Alberta.

Prior to his appointment to the Board, Mr. Crowhurst managed his own business, Sea Level Communications Ltd., a strategic communications and business advocacy company. He has also served as a senior policy and communications advisor to cabinet ministers with a variety of portfolio responsibilities. Mr. Crowhurst attended the Université de Nice in France and the University of British Columbia.

These appointments were made in accordance with the IRB’s merit-based selection process. Under this process, candidates must demonstrate by way of a written exam, interview and reference checks, the competencies required as well as their personal suitability to fulfil their important role.

Created in 1989, the IRB is an independent administrative tribunal that reports to Parliament through the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism. The Board has four divisions: the Refugee Protection Division, the Refugee Appeal Division, the Immigration Division and the Immigration Appeal Division. The IRB determines refugee protection claims made in Canada, hears immigration and refugee appeals, and conducts admissibility hearings as well as detention reviews.

Follow us on Twitter (new window to unfollow or login):

twitter.com/CitImmCanada

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alexis Pavlich

Minister’s Office

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-954-1064

Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.