is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past? Why or why not?

We know that our ancestors spilt from those of the chimpanzee (our closest biological relative) between 4 million and 8 million years ago. An interesting question in humankind’s development is, when did we being to think critically? I think that being literate today has a big effect or influence on people’s lives in comparison in the past. My reasons are discussed as follow.

Frist, there are many offices so there are many office affairs that a person has to face with them. Nowadays, everything of people like their names, how old they are, their property, the date of their death and etc. is recorded on paper by some special organizations in order to control and know the society. So everyone has to learn basic literacy in order to do his affairs in these offices because everything is written on the paper. However, in the past people did not have office affairs to do because their society was small and they know each other exactly. Their information was not registered. Basically, there was no organization to organize the town or rural areas. So acquiring literacy was not an essential need.

Second, it goes without saying that the jobs are being complicated. In the past, most of people had simple works like farming and keeping animals and absolutely they had learned to tackle with problems from their parents. But now, all works are being industrialized even farming. Many jobs need specific education and professional skills to do and even simple jobs like technicality need at least computer literate. Having been done many office affairs through the internet from home, everybody has to have knowledge about how they should work with computers and as you know, working with them needs to be literate and illiterate people will have many problems whether they are related to communication or not.

In conclusion, achieving basic literacy is a vital necessity for all people todays so that living is about impossible without it.
<!--break-->