Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Most advertisements make products seem much better than they really are.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Most advertisements make products seem much better than they really are.

A successful businessman once said, “When I earn a thousand dollars, I spend nine hundred dollars of it promoting my products.” Making attractive advertisements has been proven to be the key factor in a company’s success way. However, although business owners suggest that the product is just the same as the one seen on television or in the newspaper, I believe that not all advertisements are as honest as they seem. My reasons for this claim are manifold, three conspicuous of which are elaborated upon hereunder.

First and foremost, company owners’ chief concern is to increase their profit. Therefore, they may violate ethical laws, the most important of which is honesty, in order to achieve more money – the notorious root of all evil. For example, by watching the television, one can watch commercials displaying children making fun of each other or insisting on their parents buying a toy for them. This is indicative of the fact that moral laws are of little importance in making advertisements. Hence, it is not surprising to see commercials lying about the quality of the product they are advertising.

Secondly, some false claims in advertisements can be noticed easily. For example, commercials about dish washers often show brand-new pans instead of washed ones. In an extreme case, while my family and I were watching a commercial, a man took a quite clean shirt out of a simple washing machine. Then my little sister asked in confusion, “Who has ironed the shirt?” However, some of these tricks are hard to be noticed, and one will know the real quality of the product only after buying it.

Last but not least, those experienced enough in advertising know quite a few techniques to make a product look better than it really is. The first technique is using a high-quality camera for recording a television commercial. Also, there are expensive lenses available that change the colors of the video to make dresses and similar products more attractive. At last, commercials will go through a long editing process in which special effects, like sparkles on a clean shirt, are added to them by computer.

To sum up, I assert that most advertisements are not realistic on the grounds that a business owner does not usually endanger his or her profit for telling the truth, some tricks can be noticed easily, and several techniques are developed in order to enhance the advertisement’s quality.