TPO 1 Integrated Essay

TPO 1 Integrated Essay

In this set of materials the article posits that four-day workweek can benefit the companies and employees more than five-day work week in the United States, and provides three reasons of support. However, the lecturer raises questions on the ideas and presents some evidence to refute them all.

First, the author of the reading passage states that shorter workweek assists employees to work better and make fewer mistake with their jobs, which results to benefit the company. On contrary, the professor refutes this point by saying that four-day workweek will cost more money for companies. According to the professor, a company should spend same amount of money for training the employees and for their medical concerns whether they work for four days or five. Also, they will need more computers and office space too, and these options will cut into company's profit.

The next explanation which is uttered in the article is that four-day workweek can decrease the unemployment rate. In the contrast the lecturer explains that the opposite is likely to be true. He mentions that the companies have other options like asking the employees to work over time. Moreover, they will raise their expectation that a worker should do the same job in four day. This act neither creates additional job nor makes the current jobs appealing.

Finally, the author of the article claims that employees can improve the quality of their life with having more free time. Conversely, the speaker cast doubt on this comment and indicates that shorter workweek will harm their chance for advancing in their occupation and promotion. Companies like to hire workers for five days in the critical positions, such as managing, to ensure that their managers have control on their works.