TPO 14

TPO 14

The reading specifies that salvage logging is a process of dealing with damaged forest and provide three reasons to support it. The professor, however, says that salvage logging may appear useful which can make serious problems in a long term, and refutes all reasons.

First, according to the reading, salvage logging will remove the remains of dead trees and makes space for newer trees to grow. In contrast, the professor states that the process of cleaning up the dead trees is not beneficial. The decomposition of dead trees is a natural process that enables trees to enrich the soil. By removing damaged trees, it is plausible that the soil does not get the necessary nutrients for growing newer trees.

Second, the reading states that dead trees not only take up space but also are a suitable habitat for dangerous insects. Therefore, salvage logging preserves the health of the forest by minimizing the dangers of insect infestation. On the contrary, the speaker asserts that the dead trees are home to other animals such as birds. Also, the spruce bark beetle has been existed for many years and did not damage the healthy trees. As a result, salvage logging can produce more harm than goods.

Third, based on the lecture, trees damaged by natural disasters can provide enough wood for industries. Moreover, industries need to employ other workers since the process of salvage logging requires more workers. Nevertheless, the lecturer explains that the economic effect of it is small. This process is very expensive because it needs high-tech equipment such as massive trucks. Also, it will create small and temporary jobs needed higher experience.