TPO 25

TPO 25

The passage talks about a set of clay jars contained a copper cylinder surrounding an iron rod. The passage states some arguments about whether that vessel were used as electric ancient batteries and rejects this idea. However, the professor says these arguments are not convincing.

In the first place, the passage mentions that if the vessels were utilized as batteries, some metal wires should found near the vessels. The professor opposes this point. She says that the vessels were found by local people which were not familiar with archaeological methods. As a result, they might throw away wires.

Second, the passage points out the similarity between these vessels and copper cylinders discovered in the ruins of Seleucia which were used for holding scrolls of sacred text. However, the professor says that this similarity proves nothing. She adds that it was possible that the main purpose of the vessels was holding sacred texts and then thy were used for making electricity. In other words, the original purpose was holding scrolls but they also used for another purpose in the course of time.

Finally, the passage says that there were not any usage for electricity at that time. The professor refutes this reason by illustrating some examples including mild shock as a magic ability for people of that time and medical usage by doctors.

by local people which were not familiar with archaeological methods
by local people who were not familiar with archaeological methods

Sentence: In the first place, the passage mentions that if the vessels were utilized as batteries, some metal wires should found near the vessels.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to should and found

--------------------