TPO 8 q1

TPO 8 q1

In this sets of this materials, the article states that the Chevalier de Seingalt was somewhat controversial figure, and he is valuable historic source about European society in the eighteenth century. However, some critics have raised doubts about the accuracy of the memoir. The article provides three reasons of supports. However, the professor explains that the Chevalier de Seingalt is valuable historic figure and refutes each of author’s reasons.

First, the article states that he was living in Switzerland. He was very wealthy, but some evidence has recently surfaced that he borrowed considerable a money from a Swiss merchant. The professor refutes this point by stating that he took a loan from the merchant because he was waiting for his money to come.

Second, the article claims that the accuracy of the conversation that the chevalier records in the memoir between himself and famous writer Voltaire. It is incorrect because he wrote his memoir after many years. However, the professor contends that he was writing each conversation every night. Then he collected it and put it in his memoir.

Third, the reading avers that he escaped from jail by using a piece of metal to make a hole in the ceilling and climbing through the roof. The lecture opposes this point by saying that he didn't know anybody there with powerful, and also they replaced all the ceiling.

was somewhat controversial figure
was somewhat a controversial figure

Sentence: In this sets of this materials,
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and materials

and he is valuable historic source
and he is the valuable historic source

Sentence: He was very wealthy, but some evidence has recently surfaced that he borrowed considerable a money from a Swiss merchant.
Description: An adjective is not usually followed by an article
Suggestion: Refer to considerable and a

with powerful,
with power,

Sentence: Third, the reading avers that he escaped from jail by using a piece of metal to make a hole in the ceilling and climbing through the roof.
Error: ceilling Suggestion: ceiling

Less contents wanted from the reading passages(25%) but more content wanted from the lecture (75%).

Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster

----------------------