News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The following phrases were used to describe the scheduled meeting between Reagan and Gorbachev in Iceland except ______________.

a. an interim summit b. a summit meeting c. a preparatory meeting d. pre-summit prepaparatory meeting
(2) The negotiations for the release of Daniloff went on _____________. a. while Reagan and Gorbachev were having a preparatory summit b. while the American and Soviet sides were making preparations for the Iceland meeting c. for a whole day d. for over a month
(3) The main obstacle to the pre-summit preparatory meeting seemed to be _____________. a. Daniloff's release b. the schedule for the summit meeting in Iceland c. the fact of trading Zakharov for Daniloff d. the freedom of Yuri Orlov and his wife
(4) The pre-summit meeting was proposed by _______________. a. Soviet Foreign Minister Shevardnadze during his meeting with Secretary of State George Shultz b. Secretary Gorbachev in a personal letter c. President Ronald Reagan while receiving Soviet Foreign Minister Shevardnadze d. Secretary of State Shultz during a press conference on September 19
(5) The definitions of the release of the three men are important _____________. a. because of the fact that the three men are all part of one package b. and the emphasis is placed on the fact tht there is no trade for Nicholas Daniloff c. in the diplomatic world and in terms of principles and precedents d. because the American government insists that there is no connection between the release of Daniloff and that of Zakharov

2. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what your have heard.
  The three incidents which are considered to be all part of one what your have heard.
    a.
,
    b.
, and
    c.
.

3. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    The Americans say Daniloff was released
, an implicit
, if you will,
, that he is
. Zakharov, on the other hand, in
espionage charges, allows, in a sense,
that he was
.

Listening answers

News in Detail

a.
,
    b.
, and
    c.
.

The Americans say Daniloff was released
, an implicit
, if you will,
, that he is
. Zakharov, on the other hand, in
espionage charges, allows, in a sense,
that he was
.