Task 2: Job Stereotypes

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: Job Stereotypes

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
One of the speakers is a sociologist.
(2)
People have wrong images or stereotypes about all professions or jobs.
(3)
Job stereotypes may produce a serious problem. People can be doing a job that has a positive image but does not suit them at all.
(4)
The survey was about what kind of jobs children want to do.
(5)
The children were given twelve pairs of statements, one is positive, the other is its opposite.
(6)
The professions they looked at were physicists, lawyers, accountants, sales representatives, travel agents and three types of engineer.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The result of the survey is most striking concerning one profession, __________.

a. the engineer b. the civil engineer c. the estate agent
(2) According to the result, the person most likely to lose his job was the ____________. a. estate agent b. sales representative c. engineer
(3) The children thought the engineer was likely to be __________. a. badly dressed b. well dressed c. a bad person
(4) The profession that had the greatest number of positive opinions was the __________. a. lawyer b. physicist c. economist
(5) About __________ of the children associated electrical engineer with dirty work. a. 90% b. 76% c. 68%
(6) The majority of the children thought the economist was __________. a. funny b. cheerful c. Gloomy
(7) The most serious implication of the results of the survey was that _____________. a. children often have prejudices against certain professions b. children are ignorant of the importance of the engineer's role in society c. children may never consider certain professions that they can do well in
(8) In ___________ to be an engineer is to be somebody. a. all European countries b. most European countries c. some European countries

3. Re-list the professions in the survey, beginning with the one that the children took as the most favourite.
Answer:
(1)
    (2)
    (3)
(4)
    (5)
    (6)
(7)
    (8)
    (9)
(10)

4. Fill in the blanks.
(1) The vast majority of children thought that engineering was a "
". They also thought the job was of "
" and "
"; that is, the engineer is more likely to
than to
.
(2) There were good points, too. Engineering was seen to be "
,
" work.

Listening answers

Task 2: Job Stereotypes

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
One of the speakers is a sociologist.
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

Answer:
(1)
    (2)
    (3)
(4)
    (5)
    (6)
(7)
    (8)
    (9)
(10)

4. Fill in the blanks.
". They also thought the job was of "
" and "
than to
.
,
" work.