using points and examples from the lecture, explain two ways that music can make television commercial more effective.

Speaking topics in text

Task 6:Integrated Speaking
Professor (W): You've probably noticed that most commercials on television contain music. The reason they use music is that music makes commercials more effective in getting people to buy the product being advertised. Let's consider two ways that music helps advertisers sell their products.
One way music makes commercials more effective is by giving viewers a good feeling about the product being sold. Simply put, music can create positive emotions, and if music plays in the background while an announcer describes a product, those positive feelings and the product become associated in the viewer's mind, and people feel good about the product. And if people feel good about the product, they're more likely to want to purchase it. For example, if a company wants to sell tennis shoes to teenagers, they might use rap or hip-hop music in their commercials. The music doesn't have to be about tennis shoes, but if teenagers like rap music or hip-hop and they hear it during a commercial for a certain brand or tennis shoes, the positive emotions created by the music will make the kids feel more favorably about the shoes and more likely to want them.
Another thing music can do is it can help people remember information that's in a commercial. Songs can be very memorable. Even without trying to remember a song that you've heard, the combination of music together with rhyming verses can make it stick in your head. There's an advertisement by a pizza company in Canada that delivers pizza to your house when you call them on the phone. So thy turned it into a little song. The song is very catchy, very easy to remember. And this pizza company is very successful, because, well, when people want to order pizza, they remember the phone number from the commercial and that's the company they call up.

Speaking recording
Speaking category