GRE General Test: RC-242548 GRE Reading Comprehension

Chinua Achebe’s masterpiece Things Fall Apart was borne out of Achebe’s frustration at the manner in which African nations had, up until then, been portrayed in European novels. The book tells of Christian missionaries to Nigeria who disrupt traditional Igbo life, thereby driving the protagonist Oknokwo, a village elder, to suicide.

Achebe’s book gained him instant recognition. Critics rightly praised the book’s vivid accounts of tribal beliefs and culture, and commended Achebe’s inclusion of Igbo proverbs. He was recognized not only as a historian, but also as a novelist whose work could be likened to that of a Greek tragedy.

However, not all critical views of Achebe’s work were laudatory. Some critics felt that Achebe’s novel placed undue blame on the colonialists. These critics argued that Achebe’s portrayal did not show adequate gratitude for the introduction of Western culture and technology.
  • Current Page 1
  • Page 2
  • Page 3
  • Complete
The word laudatory, as used in the passage, could most effectively be replaced with which of the following?