TOEFL Reading Question Format and Type: Complete the Summary

Submitted by komala on Sat, 09/14/2013 - 11:29

An introductory sentence for a brief summary of the passage is provided below. Complete the summary by selecting the THREE answer choices that express the most important ideas in the passage. Some sentences do not belong in the summary because they express ideas that are not presented in the passage or are minor ideas in the passage. This question is worth 2 points.

Write your answer choices in the spaces where they belong. You can write in the number of the answer choice or the whole sentence.

Scientists have linked the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous with a meteorite impact on Earth.

Answer choices

(1) Scientists had believed for centuries that meteorite activity influenced evolution on Earth.

(2) The site of the large meteorite impact at the end of the Cretaceous period was identified in 1990.

(3) There have also been large meteorite impacts on the surface of the Moon, leaving craters like Tycho.

(4) An iridium-enriched sediment layer and a large impact crater in the Yucatán provide evidence that a large meteorite struck Earth about 65 million years ago.

(5) Large meteorite impacts, such as one at the end of the Cretaceous period, can seriously affect climate, ecological niches, plants, and animals.

(6) Meteorite impacts can be advantageous for some species, which thrive, and disastrous for other species, which become extinct

Can you please tell me how to answer this type of question. I am totally confused with this type and I am not able to understand.Do we have to summarize according to the sentence given before answer choices ie; Scientists have linked the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous with a meteorite impact on Earth. Do we have to choose options following this line or how we have to choose. Please help me I am losing my marks only in this question. Thanks in advance.