Referring to view points on lecture, summarize the professor's views on effective discipline and contrast them with the options that parents tend to use, as outlined in the reading passage.

The reading states that parents and caretakers tend to use three strategies to discipline children. They are power, with holding of affection and management technique.In contrary the professor advocates the reinforcement of correct behavior rather than the punishment of incorrect behavior.

Firstly, reading states that power is one of the strategy to discipline children. It includes, physical punishment, threatening of children, taking away their privilege such as car etc. It also states that children who are disciplined with harsh power strategies tend to become aggressive and rebellious.In contrast the professor argues that, according to Cooper smith research power which includes physical punishment leads to decrease in self esteem in children.

Secondly,reading mentions that with holding of affection makes the children to improve their discipline. With holding of affection includes, refusal to communicate with a child, threatening, rejecting etc. This strategy results to develop, feelings of insecurity and dependence on others for approval and evaluation of their behavior when they are growing up. In contrary, the professor explains that this tends to lowering of self esteem in children.

Finally, the reading states that management technique will be useful to discipline children. It includes, setting of rules at an appropriate age using a combination of praise and approval with explanation and reasoning. In contrariety the professor states that management technique helps the children to improve their self esteem, when this technique is used along with approval, attention and affection.

In all forms of discipline,the relation between the behavior and disciplinary action should be clear and the consequences should be consistent. This makes the children to understand the definition of discipline, which means "to teach" versus punishment, which means "to harm".

Don't need to reiterate the contents of reading passages or as less as possible.

Don't need a conclusion.