TPO 14 - Question 4

Speaking topics in text

TPO 14 - Question 4

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The professor talks about comfort zone bias which is when people prefer to remain in comfortable, familiar situations, rather than entering into new, unfamiliar ones. For example, a friend of the professor had always wanted to be a film reviewer. But it was really hard to find a job as one, so he ended up being a news reporter instead. As time went by, he got familiar with the routine, and became a good news reporter. But when a film reviewer’s position opened up, he turned it down. His reason was that he’s gotten used to being a news reporter and he didn’t want to try something else, he didn’t want to take a risk of not being able to handle the new job, although he’d alway dreamed of being one.

1. Ok.So this comes up a lot when people make career decisions.
2. A friend of mine from college always wanted to be a film reviewer.
3. He was a film major and he loved movies.
4. Most of all, he loved to write about movies.
5. So when he graduated, he looked for a job as a film reviewer for a newspaper, because as a film reviewer, he'd get to see films for free and would be paid to write about them.
6. That's what he loved.
7. But he couldn't find a job as a film reviewer.
8. So he took a position as a news reporter instead.
9. For a newspaper, investigating stories, writing about events-what news reporters do.
10. Now, at first, my friend wasn't sure he'd be any good at this.
11. He'd never been a news reporter before.
12. But eventually he adjusted and gained confidents and he got used to the job.
13. And he realized he was actually a pretty good reporter.
14. Anyway, here is the thing.
15. After a few years, the film reviewer of the newspaper where he worked quit and my friend was offered her job.
16. This was his dream, right?
17. His opportunity to be a film reviewer had finally come and the new job would actually pay more, too.
18. But did he take the job?
19. Nope, he turned it down.
20. He told me he'd gotten used to being a reporter.
21. And the just didn't want to try something else.
22. It seems like too big of a change, since, well, there was a chance that the new job might not work out.