Cray to Install a Liquid-Cooled Cray CS300 Cluster Supercomputer at Mississippi State University

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/02/2013 - 18:01

Wed, Oct 2, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT - U.S. Markets closed

SEATTLE, WA--(Marketwired - Oct 2, 2013) - Global supercomputer leader Cray Inc. (NASDAQ: CRAY) today announced it has been awarded a contract to provide Mississippi State University with a Cray® CS300-LC™ system -- a liquid-cooled version of the Cray CS300 cluster supercomputer. The new Cray system, nicknamed "Shadow," will be located at the University's High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC²), and will serve as the primary high performance computing system for shared research.

The HPC² at Mississippi State University supports a coalition of member centers and groups that are focused on multidisciplinary, team-research activities, and share a common core objective of advancing the state-of-the-art in computational science and engineering using high performance computing. This effort spans a wide range of application disciplines, and several of the member centers have extensive physical and experimental modeling and analysis capabilities to complement their computational efforts. The HPC² member centers and institutes include:

"Our mission is to serve the University, State and Nation through excellence in computational science and engineering, and we are pleased to have the resources of a Cray supercomputer to support our efforts," said Trey Breckenridge, director of high performance computing at Mississippi State. "With the Cray CS300 system and its advanced liquid-cooling architecture, we will provide our vast user community with a cost-effective and energy-efficient high performance computing system that is also a powerful and technologically-advanced tool for scientific research."

The Cray CS300-LC system features an innovative, liquid-cooled design that uses warm water heat exchangers instead of chillers to directly cool the compute processors and memory, allowing for a more efficient removal of system heat. Designed for three times the energy savings per-rack over air-cooled systems, the Cray CS300-LC uses less energy, features a lower total-cost-of-ownership, and gives customers the ability to realize a faster return-on-investment.

"The HPC² at Mississippi State University is a diverse coalition of members with a wide array of high performance computing needs and applications, and we are honored that a Cray CS300-LC cluster supercomputer is the solution they selected to conduct their scientific research," said Daniel Kim, senior vice president and general manager of cluster solutions at Cray.

Mississippi State University's 322-teraflop Cray CS300-LC cluster supercomputer will include new Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 processors (formerly code named "Ivy Bridge") and Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessors. The system is expected to be delivered later this year.

The Cray CS300 series of cluster supercomputers are scalable, cluster solutions that group optimized, industry-standard building block server platforms into a unified, fully-integrated system. Available with air or liquid-cooled architectures, Cray CS300 systems provide superior price/performance, energy efficiency and configuration flexibility. The systems are integrated with Cray's HPC software stack and include software tools compatible with most open source and commercial compilers, schedulers, and libraries. Cray CS300 systems also feature the Cray Advanced Cluster Engine, an essential management software suite designed to provide network, server, cluster and storage management capabilities that are necessary to run large, complex technical applications.

For more information on Cray CS300 cluster supercomputers, please visit www.cray.com/CS300.

About Mississippi State University
Among the nation's leading major research universities, Mississippi State has been designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as "a very high research activity university," which represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting universities in the U.S. Mississippi State is the only school in the state with the distinction, and one of only 108 nationwide. MSU's research expenditures totaled $233 million in 2012. Discover more at www.msstate.edu.

About Cray Inc.
Global supercomputing leader Cray Inc. (NASDAQ: CRAY) provides innovative systems and solutions enabling scientists and engineers in industry, academia and government to meet existing and future simulation and analytics challenges. Leveraging 40 years of experience in developing and servicing the world's most advanced supercomputers, Cray offers a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers and Big Data storage and analytics solutions delivering unrivaled performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray's Adaptive Supercomputing vision is focused on delivering innovative next-generation products that integrate diverse processing technologies into a unified architecture, allowing customers to meet the market's continued demand for realized performance. Go to www.cray.com for more information.

Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, including, but not limited to, statements related to Cray's ability to deliver the system required by Mississippi State University when required and that meets Mississippi State University's needs. These statements involve current expectations, forecasts of future events and other statements that are not historical facts. Inaccurate assumptions and known and unknown risks and uncertainties can affect the accuracy of forward-looking statements and cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by these forward-looking statements. Factors that could affect actual future events or results include, but are not limited to, the risk that the system required by Mississippi State University is not delivered in a timely fashion or does not perform as expected and such other risks as identified in the Company's quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, and from time to time in other reports filed by Cray with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. You should not rely unduly on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of the date of this release. Cray undertakes no duty to publicly announce or report revisions to these statements as new information becomes available that may change the Company's expectations.

Cray is a registered trademark of Cray Inc. in the United States and other countries, and Cray® CS300™ is a trademark of Cray Inc. Other product and service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network